Monday, November 26, 2007

Watchtower R-15



Over the holiday I was able to collect 14 geocaches from and around the Applegate Lake area.
One of these caches took me to a Fire lookout tower, located on Squaw Peak the peak is at 5000 feet.
It was about a mile hike up a road, with a little snow in the shady areas, other wise, it was a nice walk.
Finding the cache was another story, the cache description was done very poorly, I new this going in, so I went prepared to work for this one.
I had the description as will as the logs from other geocahers that had found it, down load into a palm pilot. This type of caching is called paperless caching.

After getting up to the lookout, I ate some roasted cashes nuts to build my strength up, and then I start looking all around the tower.
This tower is different from most, its seat on the ground on top of the hill, most others are on tall legs that can be 30 to 60 feet up into the air.
(see pictures)
A side note, the forest service will let you rent these, the lookout towers by the day, this could be and different thing to do for a anniversary, or what ever. Ours is in February, to much snow.
Back to the hunt, I looked and looked and started reading for any details I could get from the other logs and found one that said, that it was not at the lookout.
Where else could it be?
There was the note about don't use the outhouse, I thought that was a odd note, so about 200 feet away was the little house.
Very clean and painted nicely and there seat the cache just inside the door.
I took some video of the surrounding area, turn the sound up you can hear the wind, see Squaw lake down below.



5 comments:

Rochelle said...

It looks beautiful up there. Nice job taking a pic of yourself with a camera that has a broken viewer. You never know if your pic turned out! LOL

Molly said...

cool! what a a pretty day too! I liked the videos.

I can't believe you got that many caches over the weekend. sheesh! You're an animal!

fiona said...

You always have such cool adventures! 14 geocaches? That's a ton! And I like the paperless caching idea, nice and neat. Z has never wanted a palm pilot, but I bet he'd want one just for that!

zachariah said...

Nice views!! The paperless thing is cool, I always print the things out, waste of paper.

Megan and Greg said...

Wow, just gorgeous!