Monday, August 25, 2008

My First 5 X 5 Cache


"Just Clowning Around"

GCPCTX


Difficulty: 5 out of 5 Terrain: 5 out of 5 (1 is
easiest, 5 is hardest)

This all started with BlazerFan saying it would be pretty cool to get the 5 X 5 cache, the only one in southern Oregon.
So on August 23, 2008 was the day.


The person who laid the cache had planned:
1. that you float down the river to get to this cache.
2. and the other way to get to this cache is to walk down the Rogue River trail about 15 miles and than swim across the river.
I believe that there as been only one person to to this swim.

The one other way to get to the cache is to drive to with in .65 of a mile.
And then walk down the hill, but the walk is a 2000 feet change in elevation in 6/10 of a mile, very steep.

So the plan was set and off we went, I pick up Blazerfan at 8 am and go to the walk off point on the hill and, started down the hill at 10 am.
The hill wasn't to bad, till we got near the river about 12 pm and the last 400 feet was the worsest because of the under brush was so thick. It took about 30 minutes to do.

We got to the cache spot about 12:30pm and spent, about 30 minutes looking for the cache and could not find it, there wasn't a lot of place to hide a bottle size cache on top of a house size rock on the river.

I had a small cache in my water pack and placed it were the GPSr zeroed out and called it good.
And so we start up the hill, it took about hour and half to go the 400 feet.
DrDan and BlazerFan, left the river about 1:00pm and start up the 2000 feet and 6/10 of a mile (total of about 7ooo feet in distance).

I run out of water near the top and left Blazerfan to get some more, I got to the car about 7 pm and than I walked back down to Blazerfan.
We left the parking area about 8 pm and got back in town 10pm.





This is from top of the rock at the cache site.



9 comments:

fiona said...

That sounds like a tough one! Tough, but fun. Bummer that you couldn't find it, though. Are you going to try it again, or do you think someone took it if there weren't that many places to hide it to begin with??

Rochelle said...

You made it sound easier than it actually was. I'm glad you survived it!

heidi and Doug said...

your crazy =)
sounds like it was a lot of fun!

Ben said...

Yikes!

Sutherlands said...

Sounds horrendous! Is Blazerfan alive? Sounds like you left him behind...

Dan said...

Blazerfan check with the last cacher who found it, and it was not in the place He indicated.
I believe it was washed away in the last flood, last winter.
I made sure Blazerfan had the coordination to the car before I left him. He was very tired, when I left him, but I was back down the hill with more water with in about 45 minutes.

zachariah said...

So when you say you left BlazerFan, was he like passed out from dehydration?

Justica said...

Well that is definately a real adventure and a unforgetable one. Thanks alot about the gym uncle dan I'm going back friday night. I'm just gonna ignore thier pitiful selves that are definately desperate. ): Thanks alot again. (: xxxx -Jessica

blazerfan said...

For the record I had GPS coords and was within shouting distance of the car (sadly shouting distance was still quite a climb) and had plenty of water. My legs just couldn't climb many steps at a time by that point.It sure showed me how bad of shape I am in.

Now that I'm totally recovered... this was a fun trip :)