Sunday, April 27, 2008

Book Report Time, His Dark Materials, I, II and III

Title: His Dark Materials, I, II and III.
I had not planned on reading these, but there they where, so I started the story, and so I had to see how it ended.
The story is not a bad story. But the writing style is just ok, it just did not flow as will as I thought it should have.
Mrs. Coulter was her mean self, was mean all the time.
The poler bear was cool and the different animals, they helped keep the story alive and interesting.
Lyra, was this funny girl, that seem to have grown up in a rich family, and didn't know how to washer her hands and comb her own hair, all this by the time she was 12 years old.
The thing about, fighting God and not believing in a God, is just a story line to build the stories around, and nothing more.
And how it was ended, just when you think it is over it seem to run on, with to many lose end to pull together.
I understand the start of a story is important, but the way it ends, is even more so, if you want to bring your readers back for more.
I would not read it again.
And I would only give it 2 stars out of 5 rating.

4 comments:

Rochelle said...

hmmmm...these books just never looked very appealing but I was going to give them a try...now I think I'll just stick with my James Ferrymoore Cooper...Last of the Mohicans...published in 1820

fiona said...

I just finished this trilogy, too, and the farther I got in it, the less I liked it. I mean, overall, it was an interesting story, but I didn't especially like the characters, and the whole thing about what ended up happening to the dead just left me with a sick feeling. How horrible if life/death were really like that! I'm so thankful for the gospel and the knowledge we have about the afterlife and that we can be with our loved ones forever. I did like the bear, too, and the daemons. It made me wonder what my daemon would be...

And congrats again, Grandpa! :)

Sutherlands said...

Nice review. I wasn't terribly impressed with some of the stuff in those books either, but I did like the idea of daemons and other worlds. I agree with Fiona. I am so thankful for the restored gospel of Jesus Christ.
-Robyn

zachariah said...

I just finished these last night. The second book was the best of the three I thought. On the whole if you take the books as just a fantasy then it is an ok story, I concur with your read on the ending. Seemed like all that build up and then the ending was sort of anticlimatic. Now, knowing that Philip Pullman is aethist puts another spin on my thoughts. People write what they know, and everything we are, do, and say is done through our lense of understanding. Knowing Pullman is aethist it's easy to look at his books and wonder what points he made in the books stem from his actual beliefs or points of view. It seems like he may have some belief in parts of the afterlife, but a very skewed idea of what is there. I coulnd't help comparing some of the idea's to those of Corihor in the Book of Mormon, he accepted some of the true nature of our existence but rejected Christ because a false angel told him too. It seems to me that many aethists are cynical and proud, thinking they wished something was there but lacking the strength in character to take the steps needed humble themselves before God to find the answers that would ultimately make them happy. Anyways just my two bits, won't read these books again. Didn't like the characters or the character development. And the end just wasn't worth the time invested.