Friday, July 18, 2008

The Hike to Alta Lake


I finely started my vacation, about two weeks late, starting Thursday, NO WORK till August 4.

And guess what the first thing I did?
On Thursday morning I packed my back pack, and left for the 7 Lakes Wilderness area in the Sky Lakes Wilderness. This area is located between Crate Lake and Mt. McLoughling, and area about 15 miles wide and 50 miles long, with 100s of lake.
The trail head for Alta Lake, one of the 7 lakes, is the closes and shorts hike in.
A mirror 6 1/2 miles by the sign any ways.
Being on vacation I slept in and got a late start. So by the time got my pack set-up and found every thing, I did not get out of here till about noon.
The trail head is about 14 miles the other side of the town of Prospect.

Here I am at the trail head.

I drove into the TH, about 1:00pm, a mosquitoes go me in the first two minutes I was out of the car. So, out came the OFF stuff, the super strong stuff is the only thing that will work with these hungry bugs.
The trail is just wide enough for a unicycle, and climbs pretty good.
The first two miles, climbs from 5000 feet to 6000 feet, walking though woods and fields.















About 1 mile of open fields, as you can see in the pictures.
After 2 mile it got a interesting surprise, for the next 3 miles, I must have cross 50 of these.














As you can see that the snow is really there, in places, being up to eight feet deep. As luck would have it, it is very hard, so it made it easer to walk across, in most places.
More to come of what I saw, when I got to Alta Lake and the other 6 lakes.

4 comments:

Rochelle said...

Looks fun except for the mosquitoes. I really hate bug repellent and mosquitoes.

Justica said...

That is so cool i'm jealous. But hey at least you had a good time and got to see it all. The pictures of the reflective scenery off the water is gorgeous!

Megan and Greg said...

Wow Dan! I can't believe you just took off by yourself to go camp! That is awesome. Looks like fun!

--Greg

Molly said...

I would have absolutely died with the mosquitos!! they come out in January to bit especially me! yuk!

Cool trip! glad you made it back in one piece. the boys had immitations of you limping and crawling back! :(

love you!